Thursday, May 10, 2012

Cutting on Granite

Many clients ask me if it is okay to cut on granite. Granite is very hard, and will not scratch when using it to cut on. However, it will dull your knives. I have a drawer full of dull knives from being a little lazy and not getting out the cutting board, but my granite looks fantastic! In fact, the fabricators use razor blades to clean off the excess glue and debris on the stone from fabrication.
Marble, however, does scratch. Not only does marble scratch, but it will etch if bowls or cups are left on the surface for an extended period of time. I love the look of marble, but I would not put it in my kitchen because the upkeep is much more difficult with marble.
Quartz is also fine to cut on, and will have the same effect the granite has, which is to dull your knives, but not scratch the surface :)

No comments: